How to use
Use in the PM, after cleansing. Apply a few pumps of the serum across your face and lightly massage into the skin, avoiding the eye area. Allow to absorb and follow with your moisturiser, if preferred. Use sun protection during the day.
For Retinoid 2, we would recommend using twice weekly until you are acclimatised. You can then increase your usage to up to 3 times per week if desired.
If you are currently using an acid product (e.g. AHA, BHA toner), we would recommend you use this and the retinoid on alternate days.
PM Retinoid routine example: Cleanse, Tone (hydrating toners/mists only), Retinoid 1 or 2 Treatment, Eye Cream, Moisturise (if needed).
No. It is essential to have the pump mechanism screwed onto the refill to dispense the product correctly, not waste any product, and protect the formula.
In theory, yes, but we advise you not to do this. For example, if you have purchased a Retinoid 1 and want to purchase a Retinoid 2 Refill, we recommend not mixing the packaging to prevent cross-contamination of formulas.
Skin Rocks Retinoid 1 contains 0.2% hydroxypinacolone retinoate. Skin Rocks Retinoid 2 contains 0.5% hydroxypinacolone retinoate & 0.05% retinal, meaning that the product contains a total of 0.55% active retinoid.
Skin Rocks Retinoid 1 & 2 differ due to the ACTIVE vitamin A system used. Retinoid 1 contains hydroxypinacolone retinoate (HPR), whereas Retinoid 2 contains HPR & retinal. Skin Rocks Retinoid 2 is currently the strongest variant we offer.
The Skin Rocks Retinoids have been developed as a series – you choose the most appropriate depending on your previous exposure to vitamin A products.
Skin Rocks Retinoid 1 has been formulated for beginners, or those with concerns around sensitivity: those who have not used retinoids previously/have used low-strength retinoids irregularly in the past.
Skin Rocks Retinoid 2 has been formulated for intermediate users: those who have regularly used mid/high strength retinoids in the past, with no issues with sensitivity. If a user has been using high strength retinoids/actives previously, Retinoid 2 is sufficient for maintaining results. Retinoid 1 is suitable for those with sensitive skin, while Retinoid 2 is not. You should not use a retinoid if you have experienced previous vitamin A irritation. You should always patch test before using a new product.
Yes, Skin Rocks is, and will always remain, cruelty free. Skin Rocks does not test products or ingredients on animals, nor do we ask any third parties to do so on our behalf. Skin Rocks products are developed to fully comply with relevant cosmetic legislation, including the EU Cosmetic Regulation (Ec. No. 1223/2009), the equivalent UK law (Schedule 34, The Product Safety and Metrology etc. (Amendment etc.) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019)), both of which have made cosmetic animal testing illegal. It is also our company policy not to sell Skin Rocks cosmetic products in any countries that require animal testing in order to enter the market.
Neither Skin Rocks Retinoid 1 or 2 contain any ingredients of animal origin or direct animal by-products (such as honey, milk or beeswax). However, please note, that both Skin Rocks Retinoid 1 & 2 contain ‘xanthan gum’ - a viscosity controlling (thickening) ingredient, from fermented sugar molecules. The ingredient itself is not of animal origin and is classed as vegan by industry standards. However, the fermentation process may have involved enzymes derived from the albumen portion of eggs in the past. Therefore, we feel it could potentially be misleading to say that these products are 100% vegan. We are constantly reviewing the information provided by our material suppliers, and actively looking to source suitable alternatives for this material for future developments.
Retinoid 1 and 2 are topically applied, facial cosmetic products that are safe to use during pregnancy/breastfeeding. All Skin Rocks products are developed to fully comply with both the UK and EU Cosmetic Regulation and undergo a strict independent safety assessment before they can be sold to consumers. Compared to prescription strength vitamin A products/medications, the risk associated with topical cosmetics including retinoids is assumed to be minimal. To that point, there is currently, nor as there ever been, no regulatory requirement in the UK, EU or USA to label cosmetics containing retinoids has 'not suitable when pregnant/breastfeeding. However if you are worried about using vitamin A/retinoids, please wait until after pregnancy. While the industry is confident that topical cosmetic retinoids are safe to use while pregnant, the general medical consensus is, if in doubt, avoid.
Outer Bottle: Glass
Cap: Plastic (PETG)
Refill bottle + Cap: Plastic (PP)
Pump: Mixed plastic - Not readily recyclable
Carton and leaflet: All paper & card is from a certified FSC source.